Timmy's Town Center, an interactive children's museum, located in downtown Scranton is looking to hire Museum Staff
The mission of Timmy's Town Center is to foster positive discovery of self and community through hands-on engagement and interactive learning for all children and their adult guests. Its environment, exhibits and programs are designed to demonstrate what it means to live in, care for, and sustain a healthy community. Timmy's Town Center is a member of the Association of Children's Museums (ACM).
facilitate Timmy’s Town Center exhibits and ensure a quality visitor experience for both children and their adult guests. The ideal candidates for this position will have prior experience working with children, as well as experience with art, science, literacy, music, early childhood education, or general business. A solid understanding of the importance of quality customer service is vital, as well as a general business administrative skillset.
As the first staff member seen by the visitors, Museum Staff
are responsible for setting the tone of the museum visit by greeting all guests, collecting admission fees, selling memberships, tracking total number of guests, answering all inquiries, assisting in resolving difficulties, among other things.
are required to help children and adults expand their learning experience in the museum. Museum Staff
function as Museum Facilitators: focusing and engaging children and their supportive adults in developmental play. Museum Staff
use methods that include observation, imitation, modeling, offering feedback, providing alternatives and setting challenges. Sometimes you assist a child to make the next leap in understanding how something works; sometimes you encourage collaborative play by modeling use and investigation of exhibits. Museum Staff develop and lead activities for children ages 0-10, and recruit and mentor museum volunteers who help facilitate play and learning in the museum's exhibits.
As Museum Staff
, you are responsible for promoting the mission of Timmy's Town Center by supporting the Museum Team by managing the customer experience at the museum, coordinating activities for the floor staff and maintaining a clean and safe environment for our guests.
Candidate must be willing to work Thursdays, Fridays and two Saturdays per month, as well as at some special events, parties and group visits (as needed) and during some holidays (though not on the actual day – i.e. not on Thanksgiving, Christmas, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, etc.) All candidates must pass a background check and be fingerprinted. Employment is contingent upon a clear background check.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Welcome all museum visitors with a smile.
• Engage with children and adults in a welcoming energetic, friendly, outgoing, and professional manner.
• Ensure museum opens and closes on the appointed time, according to business hours.
• Inquire about the visitor's needs and answer visitor's inquiries.
• Are knowledgeable about and promotes museum membership.
• Are knowledgeable about museum policies, programs and special events.
• Maintain security and telecommunications system.
• Communicate any customer issues to Management for immediate attention and resolution.
• Act as the central communication point for emergency situation management.
• Perform various office administration duties or special projects as assigned.
• Track total attendance and enter data, per appropriate categories, into spreadsheets. Present results regularly to Management.
• Prepare letters, emails and documents. Schedule appointments. Copy and distribute documents as appropriate.
• Follow up on unpaid invoices.
• Keep track of supplies inventory for the museum, alerting Management of the need for re-order in a timely manner.
• Assist with birthday party celebrations as needed.
• Assist with special events as needed.
• Circulate the entire museum floor and assist guests in utilizing the exhibits.
• Tidy all play spaces, counter tops, tables, and library throughout the day.
• Maintain museum floor and exhibits, including light housekeeping duties in the exhibits to ensure they are always clean and reset.
• Constantly maintain premises for overall presentation, quality and cleanliness.
• Degree preferred.
• Ability to lead volunteers to achieve a common goal. Experience managing volunteers a plus.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Excellent multitasking abilities.
• Punctuality, flexibility and reliability.
• Computer proficient.
• Strong communication (verbal and written), decision making, and leadership skills.
• Accuracy and timeliness in execution of assigned tasks.
• Demonstrated ability to engage with children and adults in a personable and professional manner.
• Professional personal presentation.
• Ability to work with staff and public from diverse backgrounds and maintain professional manner using tact, initiative, good judgment and confidentiality.
• Experience in maintaining cleanliness standards.
Email your resume
. The position is open until filled.